Home Security Systems
Again, you have numberous options when it comes to the wide variety of different home security systems available (2). So budget and installation skill level are barely a factor when it comes to which brands you want to go with. Most importantly, they'll easily keep you safe when you're home or aware of your house's condition when you are not home. While these are all similar in terms of what the systems con offer, a basic package should entail (3):
Exterior motion sensors
Interior door and window sensors
A control panel
A sign, either for yard or window
Essentially you're going to want the camera(s) that best compliments your lifestyle. This means that if you're an internet savvy consumer, wireless cameras that sync with your devices are key. Why not have an app that can hook up to your phone? One that can give you up to the minute details about your home and grant you peace of mind. Each model has there own pros and cons, and Consumer Reports did an extensive article on them (4). Keep in mind that audio recording may be illegal in your state, and call your local law enforcement agency to confirm what your rights as a homeowner are. Here is just a short list of the more noteworthy models:
- • Nest Cam Indoor $164
- • Piper classic + Z-Wave Pack $340
- • Vimtag VT-361 Cloud $70
- • Dropcam Pro $200
- • iSmart Alarm Premium Package $350
- • Arlo VMS3130 Indoor/Outdoor $148
Apps for Security
Most security websites seem to cite in particular the brands of Forntpoint, ADT, and Protect America (5). ADT seems to be the winner in popularity (6). Close behind are Frontpoint for it's customer support, and Protect America next (7). Otherwise some further apps to look into are listed below:
- • Vivint Sky
- • Alarmforce
- • Frontpoint mobile
- • Xfinity home
- • Alarm.com
- • Simplisafe
- • Lifeshield
Depending on where you live and what you want your exterior lights to do, you have several options when it comes to security lighting (8). You can have some lights that stay on all night, some motion detectors, or a new kind of lighting that brightens as the motion detection stays on. All of these types have their own pros and cons.
- Hi/Low Combination Lighting: these lights stay lit and become increasingly bright as long as something is breaking the motion detection beam. Great for saving energy.
- Motion sensors: these go on as long as motion is detected.
- All-Night Lighting: blankets the property in light. While safest, also the most energy draining.
Wrought Iron Fence
And old and often sought-out favorite for larger estates, wrought iron is the go-to for elegant properties that also value secure boundary lines. One of the most stylish approaches to reinforcing your property is in wrought iron. As one of the more expensive fencing materials, it also lasts lifetimes and is perfect for generational homes (9). Wrought iron can cost between $25 and $45 per linear foot.
- • Pros
- • Incredibly strong
- • Makes a statement
- • Intimidating
- • Cons
- • Pricey
- • Not as weather resistant
- • Less private
Hurricane Impact Windows
Home security isn't just dissuading intruders on your property, keeping your home safe from weather anomalies is also a concern. And for that reason you should look into hurricane windows. This double (or more) reinforced glass panes of polyvinyl butyral will stop winds as high as 200 mph (10). Of course this will also prove a greater challenge for an uninvited guest to attempt to break through. The prices break down into the following categories:
- • Low $378 per pane
- • Med $572 per pane
- • High $717 per pane
- "Home Security". Wikipedia. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- Delaney, John R. Colon, Alex. "The Best Smart Home Security Systems of 2017". PCmag. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "What Is a Security System and How Does it Work?". Safewise. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- Perratore, Ed."Get home security without the monthly fees". Consumer Reports. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- DeMille, David."What's the Best and Most Affordable Home Security System in 2017?". ASecureLife. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Best Home Security 2017". Consumers Advocate. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "The Best Home Security System". Reviews.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Outdoor Lighting for Home Security". ADT. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Pros and Cons of Owning a Wrought Iron Fence". Doityourself.com. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "How Do Impact Windows Work?". Hurricane Window Blog. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
Popular Cities for Home Security
Find Home Security pros Near You
Find Home Security pros Near You
Select your Home Security project
Service Cost Calculator
Enter service and
zip code to view