Because window washing can be such a time-consuming project. You'll either want to clear a whole day to spend cleaning the windows in your home, or hire a professional. Furthermore, a pro can identify issues with your windows. If dry wood or rot in around your sill or dry paint is on the pane, an expert can assist you in correcting those problems. It also increases the lifespan of the window (1). Window cleaning can cost about $2 to $7 dollars for pane, with an average cost for a home being around $295. Getting a window cleaner out to your home can prevent the following (2):
Types of Windows
There are several different types of windows, all with their own purposes and drawbacks. Some open up differently, some are made more energy efficient, some even have special treatments that make them more economically viable (3). Select the right choice for your home.
- • Double hung windows: these windows can open up either from the top or bottom to make for a more open, airy room. Most commonly found in kitchens.
- • Casement windows: these large glass panes fold out to allow more sunlight in. Very cost-effective and beautiful. Perfectly at home in the living room.
- • Awning windows: tall windows that allow for more visual aesthetics and of course, sunlight. Often hinged at the top of the unit, these are great for allowing a nice breeze in.
- • Picture windows: ccting as glass "walls" these large panes allow for the maximum amount of sunlight to enter your home.
- • Transom window: these can be opened up to let a lot of air in or can remain stationary to let a lot of sun in. Either way these are most commonly found in the bathroom.
- • Slider windows: just as the name implies, these windows slide to the side for allowing air in.
- • Stationary windows: these windows don't actually open up at all. THey do however, look fantastic in the home.
How to Clean Glass
The real challenge of cleaning glass is just to avoid streaking. This can be accomplished with a squeegee, sponge, and a lot of paper towels. Pour your cleaning solution into a bucket, preferably one big enough to house the squeegee. Then working top to bottom, draw the squeegee across the window. Use the paper towels to clear up any marks or liquid left behind. You'll find your glass to be spotless after using this technique (4).Back to top
DIY vs Hiring a Pro
Essentially it comes down to how much time you have (5). If you're strapped on time, working long hours, or don't have a lot of time to yourself, it may be best to just hire a professional. This is especially true if you're particular about the way your windows are cleaned. Most importantly, if your windows are on a second story a pro will be able to scale that wall and have everything cleaned out. They'll be able to take care of anything on or around your sill, as well (6).Back to top
Tools and Chemicals Required
In any case, there are a few things that you'll want in your toolkit when window washing is on the agenda. With professional cleaning you won't have to worry about owning any equipment. You're going to want some basics, namely your choice cleaning product, but also (7):
- • Sponge
- • Squeegee
- • Paper towels
- • Bucket
- • Rag
- • Soap
- • Washcloth
Natural Alternatives for Cleaners
There are also green cleaners that don't harm the environment. You can make one yourself! Simply mix two cups of water with a quarter cup of vinegar and a half a cup of dish detergent (8). You windows will be streak free and look much happier, plus it costs under $5 to make.Back to top
- "Window Problems". Southgate. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- Martin, Brett."7 Things Your Windows Are Trying to Tell You". Popular Mechanics. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "8 Types of Windows". HGTV. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "How to Clean Windows Like a Pro". DIYnetwork. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "Compare Costs of Hiring Window Cleaners vs DIY". Kompareit. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "DIY Residential Window Washing vs Hiring a Professional Window Washer". Goodrich Cleaning. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "What's Included in Your Window Cleaning". 1300 Squeegee. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "Green Window Cleaning Makes Glass Pane-fully Clear". houselogic. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
Select your Window Cleaning project
Service Cost Calculator
Enter service and
zip code to view