Every now and then we forget to buy a certain product and decide to try to mix a couple of things together to try and replace it. But that’s not exactly the safest thing to do - many cleaning products have chemicals that don’t combine well and sometimes the mixture can even cause unsafe fumes. Always be sure to check the labels of the products for warnings. These are the top six pairs of cleaning products you should never mix.
Baking Soda + Vinegar
Both vinegar and baking soda can do wonders when cleaning your place, but not when mixed together. Vinegar causes baking soda to foam up, and it’s possible that the mixture explodes if stored. Avoid it at any cost.
Hydrogen Peroxide + Vinegar
Mixing these two products can create a potentially toxic acid that can irritate skin, eyes, and respiratory system.
Related: 7 Overused Cleaning Products
Drain Cleaner + Drain Cleaner
Drain cleaners are powerful formulas, if the one you’re using isn’t working, you should probably find a plumber. Don’t try to mix it with another drain cleaner because it could cause a reaction leading even to an explosion. Use just one product and follow the package instructions!
Related: 3 Organizing Tricks for Each Room in Your Home
Bleach + Vinegar
When mixed, bleach and vinegar produce chlorine gas, which can cause coughing, breathing problems, burning eyes or even a chemical burn. No matter how good a disinfectant these two make, it’s not worth the risk.
Related: 10 Spring Cleaning Hacks to Make Cleaning Easy
Bleach + Ammonia
Similarly to the combination of bleach and vinegar, this mixture can bring up coughing, breathing problems, burning eyes, but also shortness of breath and chest pain. In worse cases, it can cause throat burns as well.
Did you know that many glass and window cleaners contain ammonia? Never use them along with bleach! Understand more about (not) mixing cleaning products here.
Bleach + Rubbing Alcohol
The combination of bleach and rubbing alcohol might be somewhat similar to chloroform, it may not make you pass out, but it is irritating and toxic.
Want more cleaning tips? Share your thoughts in the comments below and follow us on Facebook!