The rainy season in most parts of the United States comes with a lot of blessings. If it’s not the beautiful cherry blossoms warming hearts, it’s the lush green lawns, and the breathtaking moss reminding us how nature is amazing. But the rain also creates the perfect habitat for mold, and that’s a big problem. That’s why mold testing is so vital in this season.
So, how does the rain outside cause mold inside my home, you ask? Well, it’s actually simple.
When it’s wet outside it means there’s a huge temperature difference between outdoors and indoors. This difference accelerates the process of condensation inside the house, where it’s warmer.
This condensation then leads to the accumulation of moisture on several surfaces, creating the best conditions for the appearance and growth of mold.
Want to learn more about how to detect and prevent this issue? Keep reading!
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dangers of Mold Exposure to Your Health
Before we start giving you tips that you can explore to detect and get rid of mold, it is important to first of all highlight why this is such an important issue. Mold is dangerous to your health no doubt, but actually not all mold will cause you symptoms.
As a matter of fact, it is possible to have a mold infestation in your house and still show no symptoms of mold exposure, which includes:
- Running nose
- Itchy eyes
- Other irritations
But there are some people who are hypersensitive to mold and others who are extremely allergic. In such cases, even small infestations of mold can lead to serious health-related risks.
Regardless of the category you fall under, we can all agree that mold is not a good thing and you ought to do whatever you can to remove it from your home. Starting off with a mold inspection and testing is always recommended.
What is Toxic Mold Syndrome?
Besides the common respiratory problems mold can cause, it can also bring a variety of maladies. Health experts note that toxic mold exposure has also been linked to:
- increased fatigue
- memory loss
- decline in cognitive function
It’s also important to notice that 25% of the population is vulnerable to mold toxicity, so mold inspection is quite common and basically required on families with children or elderly.
Cleaning Up Mold and Preventing it
Well, the possible health risks associated with mold have dominated most conversations online in recent years and as such, it’s important for homeowners to have a few ideas on how they can deal with it.
Before we get to the specific steps you can take, there’s one rule you ought to remember. Mold removal is most effective if it is done early. Don’t wait until you have a full blow infestation to act. This will take time and cost you more money.
As you already know, mold is caused by moisture and increased humidity at the household level, so one way to reduce any risk of infestation is to lower the indoor air humidity and moisture. Here are a few other ways to prevent mold:
- Always use an exhaust fan when you are cooking to prevent moisture accumulation.
- Run the vent fan in your bathroom while showering, and at least thirty minutes after.
However, in case you have a really nasty mold problem, then it’s time to call mold testing companies. But how do you know the issue is beyond you?
First, check the prevalence rate. If there are huge chunks of your home already infected by mold, you may need an expert to help you get rid of it.
Secondly, you may also notice that despite doing your best to get rid of the mold, it just keeps coming back. This could mean that there are several underlying issues causing the persistent growth.
In such scenarios, only an expert will be able to deal with the issue. A professional mold removal service is especially vital in homes where there are people with weakened immune systems.
Finally, you need to always pay attention to any signs of mold development, no matter how small they are.
Mold invasions are very common things and how you deal with the issue often determines if it will progress or not. In case you believe you may have been exposed to a dangerous form of mold, talk to a healthcare professional and ask mold experts for additional advice.
Need some help around the house while you’re busy with work or with the kids? Contact a local cleaning company and it will be one less thing to worry about!