Even though painting is an easy job in theory, most homeowners, when DIY-ing, forget important preparation steps or simply don’t have the time or patience to do a good job. Hiring a professional painter is a simple solution to avoid all that stress and to have the best long-lasting and good-looking painting job for your house. Check out below our easy guide on how to hire a professional painter!
Where we love is home - home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts. -Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
Hiring a Painter vs Doing It Yourself
Still in doubt if you should hire a professional? Even the most avid do-it-yourselfers agree that contacting a professional painter is worth the cost, and here are some reasons why:
- Better results: with a professional, you won’t have to worry about the paint peeling or blistering, since you will have a high-quality painting job.
- Faster results: a pro always knows the best and fastest ways to remove wallpaper, to refinish plasters, to sand, spackle, and prime, and of course, to paint the wall
- Less stress: after hiring a pro, you won’t have to worry about anything else: he or she will be responsible for finishing the job the best way possible, no matter what issues may surface.
- Guarantees: instead of hoping the painting job will look good, with a professional you can be certain of that.
- No cleanup: the professional already has the experience and knows how to avoid drips and spills, and he or she also knows how to prep the room and best cover up the floor and other surfaces to avoid accidents.
- Knowledge: a professional knows exactly what are the needed materials, how to best perform the job and how to make the painting job last longer.
After deciding to hire a professional, the first thing you’ll have to think about is the project itself. Write down some basic details, like:
- Is it interior or exterior painting?
- How many rooms will be painted?
- Do you want just the walls painted or do you want ceilings as well, along with trim and molding work painted?
It’s good to write down as many details as possible to best inform your painter when requesting an estimate.
How much a professional painter cost depends, of course, on your project size and details. An estimate or quote should include all labor and materials, including the type of paint that will be used, the preparation time, and also the additional detail work, such as intricate molding or drywall repairs. The region you’re in also affects the cost, along with the travel time to the job.
Here are some general tips to think about before hiring a painter:
- Having a clear vision of what you want for the project will make the process easier and faster.
- It definitely helps if you have some inspiration pictures to show to your painter, to specify exactly what you expect out of the project
- Get quotes: With homeyou you can request estimates and talk to the painter about your project, so you can make the best choice for your home.
- Look for lead: if your home was built before 1978, the older coats of paint may contain lead. That means you should take extra precautions and alert your painter before hiring.
When dealing with a prospective contractor, there are some questions you should ask:
- Is the cost of the paint included in the estimate?
- How long does he or she expect the job to take?
- Do the residents need to vacate the house during the job or is there no need?
Keep in mind that depending on the size of the project and of the house, the job may take several days, especially if there is a lot of preparation to be done like removing wallpaper, repairing drywall, etc.
Schedule to meet up on a day that you have time to explain, show any pictures that you have, ask questions, and get all the details set.
There’s no best time of the year for painting interiors, but keep in mind that summer is the busiest period.
Don't Be Afraid to Ask Questions
This is your home we’re talking about, so you must be comfortable with the project and with the painter, and the more details, the better. Here are some questions to ask painter to ensure the best job:
- What type of paint finish would be best for this room? The painter can tell you what is the best finish for each room. For example: a certain finish would be best for the living room because it absorbs more light, or a different finish for the kid’s room would be ideal because it’s easier to clean, etc. The professional will know what’s best for your home and suit your needs.
- Would a certain color make the room too dark? You can rely on his or her experience to know if your chosen color would make a room too dark or too bright based on your natural or artificial lighting.
- What are the best materials to work with? Instead of choosing the brand of the paint or drywall material yourself, you can and should let your painter choose what the best materials are to ensure the paint job looks perfect and lasts a long time.
- What are some tips to better clean and maintain a freshly painted room? Your hired professional can give you the best advice for your house, based on your lifestyle and weather conditions, and tell you how to best clean and maintain your freshly painted room and how to make the painting job last longer.
How to Find Professional Painters Near Me?
To find a painter in your area is super easy: simply call 1-844-HOMEYOU or click here to find the best local painting contractors. You can ask for estimates, get answers to your questions, and make your project a reality in no time.