Recycling is a very important part of saving the planet and protecting the environment, recycling plastic bottles is one of the easiest tasks around. That being said, they’re so commonly used in our everyday lives that people started creating DIY bottle crafts using these objects for decor as well as practical solutions to everyday problems. These DIY ideas on how to reuse plastic bottles will make you want to try them right away!
“The purpose - where I start - is the idea of use. It is not recycling, it's reuse.” - Issey Miyake
Reusing plastic bottles can be fun if you find the right craft! For starters, you need to find a plastic bottle that’s just about the size of your phone. It can be a lotion bottle, soda bottle, shampoo bottle, even a mustard bottle. Then you’ll wash it with hot water and let it air dry. A nice tip is that you use a napkin (even a piece of toilet paper will do the trick) before you start your project because the paper will absorb any humidity left in the bottle.
This is what you do next:
- Draw a line in the middle of the bottle - as you can see from the photo, it makes a curve up in the back.
- After cutting on the line you drew beforehand, draw a small square in the back (that’s where the charger plug will be placed, so if you don’t feel like eyeballing it, measure the sizes with a ruler).
- Use sandpaper to smooth the edges, and also the whole surface.
- Apply a thin layer of white spray paint to make a smooth, even surface.
- After letting it dry, use spray paint in whichever color you want and apply it.
If you’d like to learn how to make this phone holder with fabric instead of spray paint, check out Make It, Love It for the instructions!
You can already stop wondering what to do with plastic bottles! The materials you need to build this homemade sprinkler are:
- Push pin
- Bamboo skewer
- 3/4 inch female x 3/4 female swivel hose adapter
And you can find the directions over at Clever, Crafty, Cookin’ Mama.
This is a simple DIY craft that you can make for either yourself or the kids. Maybe even as a piggy bank for the whole family to contribute to once in a while!
The materials you need are:
- Empty plastic bottle
- Double-sided tape
- Hot-glue gun
- Pipe cleaner
- Construction paper
- 4 empty thread spools
The directions you’ll follow:
- Clean the bottle with hot water and soap, and let it dry.
- Cut your piggy’s features from construction paper - these include eyes, ears, and nostrils.
- Tape the features and body around the bottle.
- Use the hot-glue to attach the thread spools onto the bottle for the legs.
- Cut a small hole in the back to insert the pipe cleaner and make it as the piggy’s tail.
- Cut a slot on the top the size of a coin.
- Start saving!
This project is a little more time-consuming than the others, but it’s a wonderful and practical project to make! Of course, you’ll need a structure and tons of plastic bottles to build it. In addition to that, it’s a beautiful plastic bottle art! Find more informations about it at Behance.
Here’s a cute DIY to keep your kids entertained! To make these minion bowling pins you’ll need:
- 6 plastic bottles
- Yellow and blue spray paint
- Black sharpie
- Goggles printable
- Double-sided tape
To assemble this DIY you’ll basically spray the top yellow and bottom blue. Then cut the goggles and tape them to the bottle. Lastly, draw their mouths with a black sharpie. Looks pretty simple, right? Check Plucky Momo in case you have any doubts.
If you’re looking for a fun DIY project to get involved, you can now stop looking! This birdhouse from Creative Craft Nights will make you enjoy crafting and give you this adorable result to add to your garden! Make sure to follow the link for supplies and directions.
Plastic Lamp Cover
This lamp cover made out of a 5 liter water bottle and plastic spoons is beautiful and super fancy!
You only need some basic supplies to make it! Those are scissors, a hot-glue gun, the bottle and spoons (of course). Make sure to follow this link and watch the whole creation process.
- 5 Ways To Build Bird Baths with Everyday Items
- How to Build Your Own Vertical Garden
- 26 Health and Money Benefits from Being More Eco-friendly
- 10 Small Everyday Changes That Are Big for the Planet
- 25 Creative Projects with Glass Bottles You’ll Love to Keep
Which of these projects will you try? Let us know in the comments below and follow us on Facebook for more DIY projects!