A vertical garden is perfect for those who don't have enough ground space, or for those who just want to add a little something extra to a blank wall. There are many options of vertical supporters you can buy, but if you’re looking to save some money you can also build your own vertical garden at home - either by repurposing pallets or building something from scratch. There are a couple of things to consider before you make a DIY vertical garden, so check out these tips and ideas we've selected for you!
“My garden is my most beautiful masterpiece" - Claude Monet
Find the Right Spot
It’s of great importance that you check the capacity of your walls beforehand since the structure of the vertical garden can get pretty heavy once the planters are added. In addition, find a spot where you're sure you'd like to have your DIY vertical garden because they can also be difficult to move around later.
Select the Adequate Plants
Once your location is set, be sure to know what kind of plants are best to plant in your area. Observe the space to see how much sun it gets, for how long, how hot or cold it is, etc.
Here are two basic reminders:
- For sunnier spots, it's best to plant seasonal edibles in your DIY vertical garden wall, such as strawberries and tomatoes.
- For shadier spots, you'll be better off by planting leafy greens, like lettuce.
Think About Irrigation
Since gravity pulls the water down, the top of your garden will dry out faster!
Place your plants strategically:
You’ll want the plants that don’t need as much water on the top part. Meanwhile, plants that do need more water will be on the bottom.
How to Build Your Own Vertical Garden
Let’s say you want to build a vertical garden DIY from a wood pallet, what do you need to do? First off, you’ll need to be prepared to use certain tools and get your hands dirty!
These are the materials you’ll need:
- A pallet and some extra pallet planks
- 2x4 plank cut into 4 sections: 2x 3-foot long sections and 2x 1-foot long sections
- Garden fabric
- Nails and screws
- Rubber mallet
- Outdoor stain
The basic steps you need to follow:
- Prepare the pallet - this includes cleaning and letting it dry in the sun.
- Sand and stain the pallet.
- Use the extra pallets to create the garden boxes onto the bigger pallet frame.
- Secure your project by attaching the the planks together with the drill, nails, and hammer.
- Create and attach the legs to the frame.
- Use a staple gun to annex the garden fabric in the garden boxes so they’ll be ready to be filled with planting and potting soil.
- Then all you need is to add the chosen plants!
Find full instructions here. and get started on your own DIY vertical garden wall!
Aside from this project, there are several different styles you can build with recycled materials.
Here are some of our favorites:
- Easy vertical garden made out of soda bottles
- Copper pipe vertical garden idea
- This leather and trellis frame can be perfect for your vertical garden plans
- You can also try a DIY vertical garden indoors
- Make Your Own DIY Pergola At Any Budget
- 11 Vegetables You Can Regrow At Home
- 11 Mosquito Repellent Plants To Add To Your Garden
- 7 Tiny Indoor Herb Gardens That Are Healthy and Cute
- 12 Creative Fence Projects For Spring and Summer
Are you going to build your own vertical garden at home? Let us know in the comments below and follow us on Facebook to keep updated!