Ice cream is a staple in the world of “guilt food.” It’s already delicious by itself, but we all know it tastes even better at the end of a long, hard, and stressful day.
Sure, you feel that little bit of guilt for indulging, but when that happens, we all collectively think the same thing:
“I deserve it.”
Well, what if I told you the delicious-looking ice cream from the image above is gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free… And uses only two ingredients?
In fact, the ice cream itself uses only one. Yes, I know what you’re thinking:
“Where has this been all my life?!”
Let’s indulge in what might be the best ice cream recipe ever - the one-ingredient ice cream.
What Is the Magical Ingredient?
I’m sure you’re wondering this magical ingredient is by now, so if you didn’t know, brace yourself:
Yep, that’s it. And it might not look like it works, but it totally does — and taking out the freezing time, it only takes about 5 minutes to get it all done.
How to Make One-Ingredient Ice Cream
Here’s the step-by-step on how to make this delicious and healthy ice cream that yields 2 servings:
You Will Need:
- 1 large ripe banana (or two smaller ones)
- a small food processor
- an air-tight container for freezing
- Peel the banana completely and chop it into coins — size doesn’t have to be consistent, as long as they’re small pieces.
- Put the chopped pieces into a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours, if you’re in a hurry. If not, let it freeze overnight.
- Blend the frozen pieces in your food processor. At first it will remain very lumpy. Scrape the processor and blend some more — the consistency will start to change.
- Keep scraping and blending until there are no more lumps or banana chunks — once you achieve the creamy ice cream consistency, you’re golden. Blend just a little more to aerate, and it’s done!
- Transfer the creamy blend into an air-tight container and freeze until solid.
A Few More Ways to Try It
Now that the one-ingredient part is done, there are some ways you can add to the recipe and create your own custom ice cream — with only one, two, or three ingredients more!
Remember that first image of the chocolate ice cream?
It’s just the basic one-ingredient ice cream + cocoa powder.
Here are some ideas — choose one or more of these and add during step 4, as soon as the consistency is creamy and smooth:
- A spoon of peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- A little bit of honey
- A small portion of chopped frozen strawberries
- A tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- A bit of chopped dark chocolate
- A touch of cinnamon or ginger
- A generous spoon of Nutella
- A combination or dried fruits
Any one of these will render a different flavor of ice cream! Feel free to try new ingredients and give it your own personal touch - remember you can also use them for garnish, instead of adding to the blender.
This whole thing gave me a craving.
So if you’ll excuse me, I really need some ice cream right about now.
Have you tried the one-ingredient ice cream? Let us know in the comments below and follow us on Facebook for more yummy ideas!
More delicious recipes for you:
Why People Are Obsessed with Cheesecake Salads
These Oreo Recipes Will Blow You Away
The Cooking Guide for Making All Recipes Gluten-Free
7 Mind Blowing Slow Cooker Recipes Everyone Will Love