It’s imperative to keep your air conditioning system working for as long as possible, especially in the summer months when the heat can be a life-threatening factor. So here’s a how-to guide when it comes to A/C maintenance. This article has some simple tips and tricks that you should know when trying to get the most out of your A/C. We’ll go over the basics.
”A utility can handle up to 20% of production from solar and that helps the grid because it produces electricity when needed. Solar power peaks in the middle of the day and that's also when air conditioning is running and businesses are operating, so power production matches usage.” - Elon Musk
Before we get into the maintenance basics, let’s make sure you’re getting the most efficiency out of your system. There are a few things you can do to maximize the effectiveness of your unit. When you get the basics of energy conservation down, the cost of A/C maintenance services goes down as well. Here are some tips on how to efficiently cool your home with an air conditioner.
- Don’t use heating appliances on hot days. Instead, aim for grilling outdoors
- If applicable, use a programmable thermostat
- Install energy efficient windows
- Ceiling fans, when spinning counterclockwise, provide a cooling effect
- Properly insulate your home, especially around the attic
- Seal your ducts
- Make sure your unit is Energy Star qualified
- Use the bathroom fan when showering
- Use the heating vent when cooking
The most important thing you can do for the long term survival of your A/C is to change or clean the filter as frequently as possible. Not every week, but if you can, at least once a month. This prevents damage to the system as well as help purify the air and raise the air quality in your home. At the very least it should be the top priority on your air conditioner maintenance checklist. Also it will improve the efficiency of your A/C.
Clean the Unit
It may sound superfluous, but just keeping the A/C tidy can go a long way as well. Cleaning your air conditioning unit will make sure the flaps and vents are functioning as intended. Making sure the vents are clear will also improve efficiency and air quality. And knowing how to clean window A/C units will make sure that they last the full lifetime of 15 or more years.
- Disconnect the power
- Spray and wipe down the outer case
- Open the filter cage and wipe that down
- Wash out the filters
- Let them dry
- Optional: use a compressed air canister for the vents
Call a Pro!
Of course if all else fails, just call in a professional. This will ensue the best care goes to your air conditioning unit. And it’s well worth the price, especially if you can prevent having to replace an entire unit. A/C maintenance cost isn’t high and can really save you on the hot, sweltering days. So call in to get in touch with a pro and make sure you have a comfortable and safe summer ahead of you.
Trying to get quality service for yout air unit? Is your air conditioner a complete bust? Check in with a pro for a free estimate!
- How To Pick The Right Air Conditioner
- Year-Round HVAC Tips & Tricks from the Pros
- HVAC Services to Help Stay Warm through the Winter
- Simple HVAC Tricks to Save You Money