Today’s delicious guest recipe post comes from Amanda Mason, writer and “cooker” from Recipes Worth Repeating. Enjoy her fabulous gluten-free zucchini, carrot, and apple olive oil cake for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert! We love this recipe and how she designed it to be gluten-free.
Using fresh vegetables to make a cake and then topping it with cream cheese frosting is a small piece of Heaven! This recipe is so moist…like crazy good moist!
In looking at the pictures, have I confused you yet? So is this a bread loaf or a cake? Truly, it is a cake but I did make it in a loaf pan. I know…I threw a curve ball there! But there is a story behind this one. This recipe did start out as a traditional zucchini bread recipe. My parents brought me over a ton of zucchini the other day and I thought, “What in the world am I going to do with all this zucchini?” Yep – immediate thought was I’ll make some zucchini bread! But then I remembered reading a recipe where it talked about using carrots and apples in the batch of zucchini bread and I thought, fine I’ll get creative and play! I had carrots and apples in the refrigerator so it just made sense to experiment!
Oh, and it turned out so perfectly! Take a look at the fresh vegetables! You can see all the vegetables in this cake and let me tell you, you can’t taste them. This one tastes just like a piece of carrot cake. The cream cheese frosting adds that taste of sweetness and it’s just fantastic. And yes, I do feel better knowing that my kids are eating this kind of cake because it’s full of fruit and vegetables! The moisture is insane! And that’s what happens when you use fresh fruits and vegetables in a cake recipe. Oh, and olive oil. Yeah, that helps too. Did I mention that this one is gluten-free? Yeah, no one will ever be able to tell that when eating this cake!
This cake pairs nicely with a cup of hot coffee. You can eat it with breakfast, as a snack or for your dessert! Make sure you store this one in the refrigerator! Happy Eats!
- 2 Large Eggs
- ¼ cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- ⅔ cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ⅓ cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Millet Flour
- ¼ cup Oat Flour
- 1 ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Grated Carrots
- ¾ cup Grated Zucchini
- 1 Medium Fuji Apple, Peeled and Grated
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs together. Stir in olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- 3. In another large bowl, mix the flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- 4. Pour flour mixture into the bowl of wet ingredients and stir until everything is combined just enough.
- 5. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- 6. If you have a Silpat loaf pan, I highly recommend using it for this recipe. If not, you can use a 9x5 inch loaf pan. If using a traditional metal loaf pan, spray it generously with cooking spray.
- 7. Going back to your batter mixture, fold in the carrots, zucchini, and apple.
- 8. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes.
- 9. Once done, let the loaf cake cool completely, about 50 minutes before removing it from the pan.
- 10. Top with your favorite cream cheese frosting. Store in the refrigerator.
Featured recipe written by Amanda Mason, creator of Recipes Worth Repeating - a food blog that features hundreds of diverse recipes, many of which can be made gluten-free! Her passion lies in showing people that eating healthy and nutritious not only tastes good but will make you feel physically better. You can find more on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest.