Wood veneer ($1,900-$13,000) is a budget-friendly alternative to wood. While wood veneer may look similar to wood, it is often not as durable or long-lasting, though some veneers may be more moisture-resistant than real wood.
If your current cabinets are completely outdated or too small to hold all of your items, it's time to think about getting new cabinets installed. The overall cost for cabinet installation is determined by two major factors: materials and labor. The average cost for cabinet installation is $2,000-$8,000, with most homeowners paying around $4,000. Cabinets certified by the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturer's Association may be slightly more expensive, but they're put through rigorous testing (1) so you you know you'll be getting quality cabinets. As far as materials go, stock cabinets are cheaper than semi-custom or custom cabinets. If you have custom cabinets built for your kitchen or bathroom, you could pay as much as $500 per custom cabinet. When discussing labor, if you're handy enough, you may be able to install the cabinets yourself. However, you should have experience in cabinet installation before attempting to do your own. While professional installation will raise the overall cost of the project, you'll be sure you'll get perfectly level and beautiful cabinets.Back to top
There are three main types of cabinets that you can choose from: stock cabinets, semi-custom cabinets, and custom cabinets (2). Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages and most of the time budget is the determining factor in choosing a type of cabinet.
- • Stock cabinets ($60-$200 per linear foot) are considered the most economical type of cabinet. They are readily available and fit in most homes. However, there are no customization options available for these types of cabinets, and they usually come in a limited selection of colors, shapes, woods, and styles.
- • Semi-custom cabinets ($100-$650 per linear foot) are similar to stock cabinets but with a few extra customization options. You can change the depths of the cabinets, the drawer size, and the door front size. These are a great option if you have a little extra money for cabinets and want to have some input as to what your cabinets look like.
- • Custom cabinets ($500-$1,200 per linear foot) are built entirely to your specifications. The design possibilities are endless. They can look however you want them to. Custom cabinets are perfect for homeowners who have a large budget for cabinets and want their cabinets to be unique.
The material your cabinets are made out of also affects the price. When determining which material you'd like your cabinets to be made out of, consider your budget and the overall look you're going for. The most common cabinet materials are wood, wood veneer, and laminate (3), though stainless steel is starting to see a rise in popularity in residential kitchens.
Laminate ($4,000-$15,000) is more expensive than wood veneer, but still cheaper than real wood. Laminate cabinets are incredibly durable and easily withstand the regular use of a busy kitchen.
Wood ($5,000-$25,000) cabinets come in a wide variety of styles. There are many types of wood that can be used in the construction of cabinets, with the most sought-after types being oak, pine, maple, and cherry. Each type of wood varies in price and style.
They're starting to gain some popularity due to their easy to clean, sterile, and non-porous surfaces. Stainless steel cabinets also look unique and modern and last a very long time. However, they can come with a hefty price tag. Stainless steel cabinets can cost anywhere from $350-$1,000 per cabinet.
The doors on your cabinets are the first thing most people notice when walking into your kitchen or bathroom. The most popular types of cabinet doors are:
- • Raised panel
- • Recessed panel
- • Slab
- • Shaker
When considering your cabinet doors (4), you should also ask yourself if you want glass doors instead. Glass cabinet doors add a touch of elegance and style to any kitchen or bathroom. On the other hand, you could also opt for not having cabinet doors at all to give your kitchen a modern, open feel.Back to top
If your cabinets don't have any major scratches or dents and they function properly, you may want to think about simply repainting them. A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for any room of your home, and it's no different for cabinets.Back to top
If you don't have the budget for brand new cabinets, consider getting your current ones refaced or refinished (5). A professional will remove the old stain or paint from your cabinets, sand and repair them, and then paint or stain them with a new color. Or you could have veneer or laminate applied to the cabinets to give them a brand new look. Depending on the number of cabinets you need to have refaced, you could spend around $1,500 to $3,700, which is much cheaper than having new cabinets installed.Back to top
Love the color of your current cabinets but can't stand the little scratches and dents in them? Or perhaps you have newer cabinets that weren't hung properly. With cabinet repair (6), you can get your cabinets back to looking great for an average cost of $200-$500.Back to top
- "Why Purchase Certified Cabinetry?". Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturer's Association. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- Bold, Cambria. "Kitchen Cabinet Styles: The Differences Between Stock, Semi-Custom, and Custom". The Kitchn. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "The Difference Between Veneer, Laminate, and Solid Wood". Furnish Green. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Cabinet 101|Cabinet Doors". MasterBrand. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- Walker, Jan. "Refacing Your Kitchen Cabinets: The Options and Costs". Houselogic. Retrieved 18 May 2017
- Martin, Brett. "12 Simple Ways to Make Your Old Cabinets and Drawers Feel New". Popular Mechanics. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
Select your Cabinets project
Service Cost Calculator
Enter service and
zip code to view