It’s that time of year again. Spring means spring cleaning, and we’ve rounded up the cleaning solutions that you might’ve forgotten about. Be it wiping counters, washing windows, or vacuuming the carpet, we’ve got the right tips for you. Here are the top spring cleaning tips 2018 has to offer.
"I am never five minutes into stripping the clutter from my life before I start running into the clutter that is my life." - Robert Brault
Inspect your Vacuum
This one passes by homeowners a lot. But your vacuum actually will perform worse the longer it goes unchecked. So be sure you know how to pull it apart and clean it. This is best to do before seriously getting into cleaning your home. If you’re wondering when to start spring cleaning, now is the time. So look to the following:
- Change the bag
- Wipe down the inner bag chamber
- Wipe down the exterior of the vacuum
- Pull debris out of the brushes
- Try to clean the underside as much as possible
- Change the filter
- Check the hose for any holes
Combat Lime Buildup
One thing that a lot of homeowners let slip through the cracks is lime buildup. Lime will continue to build up around the faucet unless you take action. To fight the lime, simply soak it in vinegar overnight. Use a plastic bag and fill it with vinegar, place it over the faucet, and let it sit for a night. This will severely weaken the limescale deposit around any faucet or showerhead. You will find it much easier to remove afterwards. Vinegar solutions will often make the top 10 spring cleaning tips.
While it doesn’t seem like the dishwasher ever needs cleaning, because that’s the function of a dishwasher. However, your dishwasher could use a cycle to itself. Just be sure to purchase specialty dishwasher cleaner to help with the process. This specialty cleaner will have everything your dishwasher needs to get cleaned out perfectly. It can also help the unit run more efficiently. This is also important for your apartment. Spring cleaning tips sometimes miss apartment style living.
It’s All About Mentality
Of course you should always get your brain ready for spring cleaning. Prepping the mind for any task is a large part of that task. Combat the laziness by using these mental spring cleaning tips and tricks. Here are just a few things that can help you think through procrastination.
- Set a timer to fight procrastination
- Use the same cleaning formula for every room
- Start with the bedroom (especially if you have allergies)
- Sanitize sponges
- Store items based off how frequently you use them
- Don’t buy oversized bins
- Get the right cleaning tools first
- Visualize the setup
- Don’t think about clutter
- Believe in yourself
Fans and Light Fixtures
At this point, most homeowners are just kind of used to seeing their fans and lighting fixtures on the ceiling. But the problem is, dust doesn’t care and will settle on those fixtures perpetually. Fast spring cleaning tips dictate that wiping them down with a cloth or soft vacuum nozzle can severely cut down on allergens. With glass fixtures it might take a little more time to windex but it’s so worth it. Even a pillowcase can do it.
Random Cleaning Tips
There are just so many to choose from, here’s a segment from this article that will just try to run down as many spring cleaning tips as possible. Most of these may tickle your memory, as you’ve probably done them at one point or another before, but this article is about which cleaning tips you’ve forgotten about over the years. So here we go with a rapid fire list.
- Old socks as dust mitts - If you lose a sock or just have old ones with holes, use them to wipe up lint
- Butter knife to clean air vents - Use a knife and a rag to hit those hard to reach spots in your vents
- Window squeegee on pet hair - You can actually get the pet dander out of your carpet or rug by using a window squeegee
- Cream of tartar on metal appliances - Mix 1 tsp with just enough water to create a milky paste, then apply that to your toaster or tea kettle to make it shine again
- Stack clothes vertically - This can easily organize your drawers
- Coffee filters on screens - Rub a coffee filter over a screen to get all the smudges off
- Clean your grill with an onion - Seriously, spray vinegar onto your grill and rub away with half an onion
- Wet dryer sheet on ceramic stovetop - just let it sit for 15 minutes and wipe away the cooked-on food
- Baking soda on stainless steel - Works like a charm
When it comes to spring cleaning, there are a lot of things to think about. However, it doesn’t have to be a daunting chore. Follow these tips, take breaks when you need to, and play some music to make it more fun. Just think of how clean your home will be afterwards!
Need help with your spring cleaning? Contact a professional today to get a free quote and get a professionally cleaned home!
- How to Spring Clean Your House
- Dirty Little Secrets about Roof Cleaning: DIY vs. Pro
- The 12 Best Cleaning Hacks You Need to Know
- DIY Gutter Cleaning Made Easy