Few things in life are worse than dealing with a bug infestation. Not only can those insects wreak havoc on your home, but they'll also do a number on your mind. You might have phantom itches as if you can feel the bugs crawling on you and have a hard time sleeping or even living in your home.
No matter what type of bugs you see, you can learn how to handle them before you call a pest control company!
Get Rid of Ants
The most common reason why you have ants in your home is that you provided them with a food source such as dry goods you left in open containers. To get rid of them, look for how they entered your home.
Start by using a vacuum to remove the ants and then wipe down the trail they left behind. Even if you kill the ants you see, they will use pheromones to follow the trail that the old bugs left behind. There are a few solutions to that:
- You can use equal parts water and dish soap in a spray bottle to get rid of them, too. This spray will eliminate the pheromone trail and kill the bugs.
- You can also try using equal parts powdered sugar and baking soda or cornstarch. While the powdered sugar attracts them, the baking soda kills them.
- Make sure that you set up bait traps to take care of any ants you missed.
Take Care of Roaches
Many people look at how to get rid of bugs because they found roaches in their homes. Glue traps are one of the best ways to see the severity of your infestation and find out where the roaches come from.
A homemade trap is another tool you can use. Here’s how to make it:
- Cut the top of a plastic soda bottle off and insert it upside down in the bottle, with the lid inside.
- Place a piece of bread soaked in beer in the bottom and coat the inside with petroleum jelly.
- The roaches will crawl inside to eat the bread, while the petroleum jelly blocks them from crawling out.
- Boric acid and bait traps will take care of any roaches you missed.
Have you ever sat down to watch a TV and saw a spider drop down from the ceiling in front of your eyes? While spiders do a good job of killing other insects in your home, you may still want to get rid of them.
- Vacuuming the ceiling and any spots where you see webs will take care of many of the spiders.
- Glue traps will catch those you don't see.
- You'll also find many sprays that both kill and repel spiders that are suitable for use all-around your home.
- Sprays with mint tend to work the best.
If you're on the hunt for pest control tips because you can't control the flies in your house, you need both fly strips and a swatter. The swatter lets you kill any flies that are nearby, but the strips can catch dozens of flies within a few short hours.
Strips are perfect for hanging from ceilings and ceiling fans. To keep flies from getting into your home, use a trap that you can install inside or outside.
You can also make homemade traps with water poured inside a shallow bowl. Add a drop of dish soap to the water, which keeps the flies from getting out.
When you find fleas on your pets, get them into the bath as soon as possible. You will then want to apply a flea deterrent such as a liquid designed to kill both adult fleas and their eggs. Using a comb daily lets you catch any fleas left behind.
To treat your home, follow these ideas:
- Take your family and pets out for the day and use a bug bomb that works on fleas.
- You should also vacuum your home every day and focus on the baseboards and around your furniture.
- Wash the bedding your pets come into contact with, too.
Exterminate Bed Bugs
A bug exterminator can help you get rid of bed bugs in just a few treatments, but you may want to tackle the job on your own.
- Put anything that you can clean in the dryer. Bed bugs cannot live above temperatures of 130 degrees Fahrenheit. If you do not have access to a dryer, place the items in trashbags that you seal and leave outside for several days in the sunlight.
- You can also store items in the freezer for a minimum of four days as long as you seal them in bags first.
- It's also helpful to use a steam cleaner on furniture and larger items.
Call a professional bug exterminator if you have a pest problem. They will get rid of the pests quickly and prevent them from coming back to your house.
MORE FROM HOMEYOU
Everything You Need To Know About Heated Driveways
The 7 Best Driveway Designs For Your Home
5 Reasons Why You Should Clean Your Gutters Right Now