Ah, hot chocolate... the perfect drink to warm the soul on a cold day. Sweet, warm, and with a surprising twist of spicy, comes the ultimate hot chocolate recipe that will revolutionize your nights (and probably get a lot of people asking how you make it so delicious). But why is this one recipe so special, and why is it different from the usual hot chocolate we’re used to?
Let’s dive in!
“We know what we are, but know not what we may be. – William Shakespeare
A basic hot chocolate recipe
Most folks know what’s the deal with hot chocolate. In short, you mix cocoa powder with sugar and milk (or whipped cream) to create a creamy mixture that will be heat up and served as is. Simple, quick, and delicious every single time.
Here’s the basic recipe:
- About 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 spoon of sugar (or more if you want)
- 1 cup of milk, cream or half-and-half (or a combination of them, if you prefer)
To make a basic hot chocolate, here’s what you do:
- Whisk the cocoa powder and sugar with a bit of milk in a small saucepan under low heat until everything is dissolved.
- Add in the rest of the milk and whisk under medium heat until it’s very hot (but not boiling!)
- Want to add a little something? Drop a marshmallow or two to melt in there.
- Serve in your favorite mug!
Now that we got the basics down, let’s talk about hot chocolate Version 2.0 – the spiced hot chocolate.
What you’ll need for the perfect spiced hot chocolate
Luckily what you need are basic ingredients, it’s the way they mix together that makes it all so special in the end. The basic gist is the same, but we add in cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and – the big secret – a touch of cayenne pepper.
This combination consummates the warm sweetness of hot chocolate with the exotic taste of cinnamon and pepper combined into something ridiculously delicious.
But first things first – the ingredient list!
- 4 cups of milk (less for a single portion – double down on the other ingredients if that’s the case)
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of sugar (open to your taste)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Whipped cream to top it off
And finally, let’s get to the good part...
Making the perfect spiced hot chocolate
This part is no different from making a classic hot chocolate:
First, combine milk, cocoa powder, and sugar in a small saucepan, but also add the cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and vanilla extract. Whisk it gently under low heat until it’s a homogeneous mixture.
Up the heat to medium and keep stirring gently and often. Let it get hot, but don’t bring it to a boil.
When satisfied with how hot it is, pour into a cup and serve with a generous dollop of whipped cream!
Are you looking to try this spiced hot chocolate recipe yourself? Follow us on Facebook and don’t forget to share!